Thursday, July 23, 2009

Migh-T by Kumiko Watari

Lately I've been enjoying the work of Kumiko Watari. Kumiko studied textiles for 6 years in Kyoto before relocating to CSM in London to study fashion. Her vision is childlike, playful and bold. I love her loungey, street-inspired silhouettes and distinctively sweet colour palettes.
Kumiko's 2007 A/W MA grad show was especially delightful for those of us who grew up collecting Trolls (hello, Bridie!). The hair trend from a few seasons back took a fun, super-synthetic turn with some awesome violet and green troll hair inserts ( as pictured below).
Her recent work continues to play with cute, comical prints. I was impressed to see Australian animals and delftware both somehow making an appearance in the same collection! (A/W 09):
I wouldn't mind those drip print tops, pom-pom hats or super brights in my own wardrobe! xLL

1 comments:

Bee said...

omg love it.